Home > Scripts > Organisation & Collaboration > Event- / Conference Management
Open Conference Systems
Recommended server requirements
- PHP >= 4.2.x (including PHP 5.x); Microsoft IIS requires PHP 5.x
- MySQL >= 3.23.23 (including MySQL 4.x) or PostgreSQL >= 7.1 (including PostgreSQL 8.x)
- Apache >= 1.3.2x or >= 2.0.4x or Microsoft IIS 6
- Operating system: Any OS that supports the above software, including Linux, BSD, Solaris, Mac OS X, Windows
As PKP does not have the resources to test every possible combination of software versions and platforms, no guarantee of correct operation or support is implied. We welcome feedback from users who have deployed OCS on systems other than those listed above.
A secure deployment can be best achieved by using the following policies:
- Dedicate a database to OCS; use unique credentials to access it. Configure this database to perform automated backups on a regular basis. Perform a manual backup when upgrading or performing maintenance.
- Configure OCS (config.inc.php) to use SHA1 hashing rather than MD5.
- Configure OCS (config.inc.php) to use force_ssl_login so that authenticated users communicate with the server via HTTPS.
- Install OCS so that the files directory is NOT a subdirectory of the OCS installation and cannot be accessed directly via the web server. Restrict file permissions as much as possible. Automated backups of this directory should be roughly synchronized with database backups.
Open Conference Systems is a free Web publishing tool that will create a complete Web presence for your scholarly conference. OCS will allow you to:
- Create a conference Web site
- Manage conferences that occur more than once (e.g., yearly)
- Compose and send a call for papers
- Electronically accept paper and abstract submissions
- Allow paper submitters to edit their work
- Conduct peer reviews
- Post conference proceedings and papers in a searchable format
- Schedule a Conference
- Post, if you wish, the original data sets
- Register participants, including accepting payments
- Integrate post-conference online discussions
- Utilize an e-mail template system
- Support multiple languages with localization files
- Take advantage of more customizable, scalable and secure code